Your privacy is important to us. At Scheidel, Sullivan & Lanni CPA LLC, we are committed to your privacy and retaining your trust. WC respect your right to keep your personal information conﬁdential and to avoid unwanted solicitations.
Please read this to learn how we handle your personal information.
Types of Information We Collect:
We collect nonpublic personal information about you that is provided by you or obtained by us with your authorization to prepare your personal income tax returns and provide personal ﬁnancial planning to you.
Examples of Sources From Which We Collect Information:
CLIENT INTERVIEWS, TAX RETURN ORGANIZERS, FINANCIAL PLANNING ORGANIZERS, AND
FINANCIAL HISTORY QUESTIONNAIRE? To properly prepare your income tax return or provide ﬁnancial planning services, we receive information from you to complete your tax return or ﬁnancial plan. This information is collected from you in written form. by phone, on line, by mail and in personal interviews and consultations conducted by us, as well as by information we collect from others with your authorization.
- TRANSACTION INFORMATION. This is information about your transactions with us and includes information necessary for billing and payment for our income tax preparation and ﬁnancial planning services. as well as all correspondence between you and us.Transaction information would also include your payment history with us, billing records and any collection effort engaged in by us for payment of
services rendered to you.
Parties To Whom We Disclose Information:
We do not disclose any nonpublic personal information about our clients or former clients to our afﬁliates or to nonafﬁliated third parties except as permitted by law, the Code of Professional Conduct or the New Jersey Society of Certiﬁed Public Accountants (NJCPA) and Ethics Rulings of the American Institute of Certiﬁed Public Accountants (AlCPA). Nonpublic personal information about you and our former clients may be disclosed to both our afﬁliates and nonafﬁliated third parties as permitted by law, our Code of Professional Conduct, and Ethics Rulings of the AICPA, as follows:
- Complying with a validly issued and enforceable subpoena or summons.
- In the course of a review of our ﬁrm’s practices under the New Jersey State Board of Accountancy authorization.
- Initiating a complaint or responding to an inquiry made by the Professional Conduct Committee of the NJCPA, the ethics division or trial board of the AICPA or duly constituted investigative or disciplinary body of another State CPA Society or Board of Accountancy.
- A review of a professional practice in conjunction with a prospective purchase, sale, or merger of all or part of our practice, provided that we take appropriate precautions (for example, through a written confidentiality agreement) so the prospective purchaser does not disclose information obtained in the course of the review.
- Participating in actual or threatened legal proceedings or alternative dispute resolution proceedings either initiated by or against us, provided we disclose only the information necessary to ﬁle, pursue, or defend against the lawsuit, and take reasonable precautions to ensure that the information disclosed does not become a matter of public record.
- Providing information to affiliates of the ﬁrm and nonaffiliated third parties who perform services or functions for us pursuant to a contractual agreement which prohibits the third party or afﬁliate from disclosing or using the information other than for the purposes for which the
information was disclosed: for example, using an outside service bureau to process clients’ tax returns, or using a records-retention agency to store clients’ records.
General Restrictions on Disclosure of Nonpublic Personal Information to Afﬁliates and Nonafﬁliated Third Parties
As tax preparers, we are prohibited by Internal Revenue Code Section 7216 from disclosing your income tax return information without your consent, other than for the speciﬁc purpose of preparing, assisting in preparing or obtaining and providing services in connection with the preparation of an income tax return for you. Furthermore, as a member of the NJCPA engaged in income tax preparation or ﬁnancial planning, we are generally prohibited from disclosing conﬁdential client information about you to afﬁliates and nonafﬁliated third parties without your speciﬁc consent. (See exceptions under heading “Parties to whom we disclose information)
Conﬁdentiality and Security of Nonpublic Personal Information
We restrict access to nonpublic personal information about you to those employees and other parties who must use that information to provide services to you. Their right to further disclose and use the information is limited by our employee code of conduct (if applicable), applicable law.or Code of Professional Conduct and nondisclosure agreements where appropriate. We also maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in compliance with applicable laws and regulations to guard your nonpublic personal information.
Scheidel, Sullivan & Lanni CPA LLC
145 N. Franklin Turnpike, Suite 303
Ramsey, New Jersey 07446